TOGETHER, WE'RE MAKING
A GREAT CITY BETTER.
Mayor Bowser's vision is for Washington, DC to become the global model for inclusive prosperity and resilience, showcasing how diversity and innovation can drive equitable economic growth.Learn More
DC's Economic Strategy
DC’s Economic Strategy outlines not only how we will grow our economy, but how we will make sure that growth benefits all Washingtonians. The strategy is focused on increasing the commercial tax base, creating jobs, fostering entrepreneurship and innovation, and advancing inclusive prosperity in DC.
Mayor Bowser’s vision is for Washington, DC to become the global model for inclusive prosperity and resilience, showcasing how diversity and innovation can drive equitable economic growth. The strategy is guided by two measurable goals:
- Grow private sector GDP to $100 billion (by 20%) by the end of 2021; and
- Reduce unemployment across wards, races and educational attainment levels, bringing rates below 10% in all segments by the end of 2021.
- Business environment: Create a customer-centric business and regulatory environment
- Funding: Improve access to capital and funding opportunities
- Local identity and promotion: Support the local economy by promoting and preserving DC’s unique identity
- Talent: Retain talent and empower residents to thrive through industry-advised career pathways and well-connected pipelines
- Space, housing and other supports: Ensure companies have space to grow, residents have affordable housing, and other supporting drivers of inclusive economic growth are strong
- Sectors: Develop DC’s industry opportunity areas and enhance the core sectors of its economy
The strategy will serve as our north star for economic development, guiding decisions about priorities, policy and resources. Each year we will assess and report on our progress and adjust our plans as new opportunities and challenges arise. Explore the strategy using the top-level menu of this site, or download the printer-friendly report here. And make sure to sign up to receive strategy updates.
Throughout the strategy development process, the team consistently asked stakeholders not only what District government can do to advance inclusive economic growth in DC, but what District government can do in collaboration with partners in business, philanthropy and the community. The strategy itself reflects this spirit of cooperation – cross-sector, inter-jurisdictional and intra-governmental – and we look forward to working together to help DC’s reach its full potential.