Development project to bring a tech incubator, more than 200 jobs, and needed retail to Ward 8. The development will include a Real Estate Entrepreneurship Career Academy and an incubator to support the creation of local technology firms. Specifically, the incubator will provide mentorship, training and development for the creation of local CBE technology firms while the Real Estate Academy will give Ward 7 and 8 residents the tools to enter the real estate profession and to participate in the development of their neighborhoods.
July 2019: The Menkiti Group expanded its plans for the MLK Gateway project in Anacostia with the acquisition of additional privately-owned adjacent sites and a new tax break from the District. Menkiti has yet to detail how it plans to expand the project, but the existing plan includes 16,000 SF of retail for a fresh food market or restaurant. The 50,000+ SF of office space will include a tech incubator (operated by Enlightened) and a “Real Estate Entrepreneurship Career Academy (operated by Keller Williams) to educate D.C. residents on brokerage skills. Read the details.
February 2018: The Menkiti Group and Enlightened Inc. plan to break ground in 2019.
- Timeline: FY18-19 (announced December 2016)
- Lead and key partners: Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED), Dept. of Housing and Community Development (DHCD)
- Related core sectors: real estate, retail, technology
- Related opportunity areas: impact economy, smart cities and civic solutions, security technology
- Related action areas: talent, space and supports, funding